•Abductors demand N100m
The traditional ruler of Ukpo, Dunukofia Local Government Area of Anambra State, Igwe Robert Eze, is yet to be released eight days after he was abducted by gunmen.
It was gathered that the monarch’s elder brother and oil magnate, Prince Arthur Eze, who had been receiving medical treatment abroad returned to Nigeria yesterday after over a month.
Igwe Eze was kidnapped penultimate Sunday about 12 noon at his palace.
Four gunmen were said to have taken the monarch away in a green Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV).
The victim’s family said the kidnappers are demanding N100 million ransom to be paid in dollars.
Police spokesman Raphael Uzoigwe said: “We are still trying to establish contact with the kidnappers, but we assure the people that the monarch will come out untouched.”
The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Anambra council, yesterday condemned the abduction of traditional leaders in the state.
In a statement by its Chairman, Tochukwu Omelu, and Assistant Secretary Ifeoma Anumba, after the council’s congress in Awka, NUJ said the assault on royal fathers threatens the sanctity of the institution.
The union said the act is an affront on Igbo culture and urged the police to tighten security.
Two monarchs, Igwe Lawrence Oragwu of Adazi Nnukwu and Igwe Jerome Okolie of Ihembosi, who were abducted in May and August last year, are yet to be found.
via The Nation
When these people started with white guys, we used them to make jokes. Now they have started doing it to our fellow Nigerians!
Igwe without security
God is in control.
New York Times
Advertise with us
Rules And Regulations